Designing a Rogue-like game for book two
My 2nd eBook is going to be a bit like the first one- first it teaches C but it is oriented towards Raspberry Pis. Then it shows how to program Asteroids (like the first book) followed by a Match three game and finally a Rogue type dungeon explorer game.
Now some rogue-likes stay true to the originals which were text based. Like this above from an article on Wikipedia. Now that’s ok, but I fancy something a bit more colourful so I’m going to use 16 x 16 pixel graphics.
I did a bit of searching and found these dungeon graphics on itch.io. I’ll use those to start with but may change. The view is not quite top down but top down with a bit of isometric in it. It looks better than pure top down.
So I figure the game has to have these elements.
(1) Generate a dungeon with multiple rooms and levels and stairs between,
(2) Fill the dungeon with monsters and treasures.
(3) Move the player’s character through the dungeon fighting monsters, picking up things including keys and maintaining a small inventory.
(4) Add some side quests like needing to find keys to open a chest with a magical item.
(5) I’ll also need to devise a simple combat system with magic.
Do monsters move- you’d hope so. How are rooms connected, in fact how are dungeons generated? I created a dungeon generator for the postal game Quest 30 years ago and can remember how I did it so there’ll will be that to implement in C.
I’m also going to leave out things like needing food and water.
So there it is now. Now to start writing the software. I’ll update this with progress reports.